Mark M. Mendez
Head of Derivatives & Structured Products. Advises investment banks, corporations and hedge funds on a variety of financial transactions and securities offerings.
Mark is head of our Derivatives & Structured Products practice and a member of the Capital Markets practice. He advises investment banks, corporations and hedge funds in the structuring, negotiation and execution of a wide variety of financial transactions and securities offerings.
Mark’s work on securities offerings includes all types of exchangeable, convertible and equity-linked securities. Mark’s work in the equity derivatives space includes all types of over-the-counter derivatives, including forward sale agreements, structured stock buyback transactions, variance and correlation swaps, and other hedging transactions. He also advises clients on affiliate margin loans.
He is ranked in Band 1 for derivatives work by Chambers USA, which quotes a client saying of Mark, “If I am working on something messy and complicated, I want him on my side as he will not miss anything.”
- An issuer on its offering of equity units, initially consisting of shares of its cumulative perpetual convertible preferred stock and contracts to purchase a variable number of shares of its common stock.
- BofA Securities, Deutsche Bank Securities and Morgan Stanley on an offering of “green” convertible senior notes by MP Materials Corp., a former special purpose acquisition company, for $690 million.
- Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan on an offering by PG&E Corporation of equity units for total net proceeds of approximately $1.186 billion.
- Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley on an offering by the 2020 Cash Mandatory Exchangeable Trust of its 2020 Cash Mandatory Exchangeable Trust Securities for $2 billion.
- JPMorgan on an offering of 2020 mandatory exchangeable trust securities exchangeable into Class A common stock of Chewy, Inc. for $690 million.
- Forward purchasers/forward sellers on forward sale agreements relating to shares of New Jersey Resources Corporation’s common stock in connection with an SEC-registered offering of such common stock for $235 million.
- Morgan Stanley on the execution of forward sale agreements with an affiliate of 3G Capital Partners relating to the sale of $3.01 billion of common shares of Restaurant Brands International Inc.
- JPMorgan and Goldman Sachs on offerings by multiple finance subsidiaries of IAC/InterActiveCorp of exchangeable senior notes for $1.66 billion, and the counterparties to the exchangeable note hedge and warrant transactions entered into in connection with such offerings.
- Forward purchasers/forward sellers on an at-the-market forward sale program relating to the common stock of Entergy Corporation for up to $1 billion.
- BofA Securities, JPMorgan and Citibank on an offering by II-VI Incorporated of shares of its 6.00% mandatory convertible preferred stock for $460 million.
- Numerous issuers and bank counterparties on structured stock buyback transactions, including uncollared, capped and collared accelerated share repurchase transactions, prepaid put transactions and enhanced open market repurchase transactions.
- Numerous shareholders and bank counterparties on equity hedging transactions, including collar and variable share forward transactions and hedging transactions related to classes of Visa Inc. capital stock.
Chambers Global – Capital Markets: Derivatives, USA, Band 1
Chambers USA – Derivatives, Band 1
Chambers USA – Capital Markets: Convertible Debt, Band 1
IFLR1000 – Capital Markets (Derivatives, Equity, Structured Finance and Securitisation), United States
Legal 500 U.S. – Structured Finance: Derivatives and Structured Products
- Articles and Commentaries Editor, Harvard Law Review
- summa cum laude
- Partner, 2007-present
- Davis Polk since 2000
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York