Lara Samet Buchwald
Lara’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation in state, federal and bankruptcy courts across the country. Clients also turn to her for advice on a wide range of civil litigation and advisory matters.
Lara has deep experience in commercial disputes, shareholder derivative litigation, securities litigation, mass torts and bankruptcy litigation, and has been trial counsel in a number of high-profile bankruptcies.
She has also undertaken extensive pro bono advocacy work concerning indigent defendants’ rights, including successful advocacy for caseload standards in New York and successful litigation to the New York State Court of Appeals regarding case assignments in New York City. She is trial counsel in a case challenging the constitutionality of the indigent defense system in Louisiana.
Lara is co-chair of Davis Polk’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee, a member of the board of the Legal Aid Society, and on the Global Advisory Board of the Women in Law Empowerment Forum.
Complex Commercial Litigation
- Aetna Inc. in a variety of major litigations, including successful defense of shareholder derivative litigation arising out of a proposed merger and shareholder derivative litigation relating to Aetna’s withdrawal from certain healthcare exchanges
- Citi in litigations arising out of the bankruptcy of Millennium Health, including ongoing defense in securities litigation challenging syndicated loan transaction, and in related fraudulent transfer litigation
- Con Edison in a variety of major litigations, including successful defense of mass-action civil litigation arising out of a 2007 steam main rupture in midtown Manhattan
- Crestview in litigations arising out of the merger of Capital Bank and First Horizon National Bank, including ongoing defense in putative class action litigation seeking to challenge the merger consideration
- A major financial institution in a variety of complex commercial litigations, including successful defense of action seeking to prevent termination of key contract, and successful dismissal of petition for extraterritorial discovery
- Directors and officers of various public companies in shareholder derivative and securities litigations
- Arch Coal, Inc. in all aspects of its chapter 11 cases, including as trial counsel
- Bonanza Creek Energy, Inc. in all aspects of its chapter 11 cases, including as trial counsel
- Delta Air Lines, Inc. in connection with the chapter 11 cases of LATAM Airlines Group S.A.
- EdgeMarc Energy in all aspects of its chapter 11 cases, including as lead litigation counsel
- An ad hoc group of bondholders in connection with the chapter 11 cases of Alta Mesa Resources, Inc., including as lead litigation counsel
- A consortium of lending institutions as appellate counsel in fraudulent transfer litigation arising out of the TOUSA, Inc. bankruptcy
Pro Bono Litigation
- The Legal Aid Society in connection with multiple pro bono matters, including extensive advocacy work concerning indigent defense caseloads, which led to millions of dollars of increased funding for public defense in New York City, and successful litigation to the New York State Court of Appeals regarding indigent defense case assignments.
- Counsel to a statewide class of indigent defendants challenging the constitutionality of the indigent defense system in Louisiana.
- cum laude
- Articles Editor, New York University Annual Survey of American Law
- magna cum laude
- Partner, 2017-present
- Associate, 2008-2017
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New Jersey
- State of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, E.D. Michigan
- U.S. District Court, E.D. New York
- U.S. District Court, S.D. New York
- U.S. Tax Court