Jordan Leigh Smith
Advises clients on compliance and anti-corruption matters, including in connection with corporate transactions, compliance program assessments and investigations.
Jordan advises clients on compliance and anti-corruption matters, including providing advice on civil, criminal and internal investigations relating to alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), fraud and other financial crimes. Her significant experience in compliance includes serving as acting Chief Compliance Officer for a global industrial company.
She assesses compliance programs, advises on remediation steps and implementation of effective compliance programs, engages in risk assessments, and advises on corporate governance issues. She conducts due diligence and provides strategic, structural, contractual and risk mitigation advice in connection with M&A, joint ventures, investments and third-party engagements.
Clients also turn to Jordan for practical advice on day-to-day compliance issues, including in connection with contractual negotiations, reviewing policies and procedures, enhancing internal systems and controls, training and disciplinary issues.
- Compliance program assessment for international industrial service company.
- An independent review and assessment of the compliance program at a major biomedical company.
- Risk assessments and assessment and development of compliance programs at various global companies across industries (e.g., consumer goods, telecommunications and media, travel retail) in preparation for their reorganizations and potential listings on a U.S. securities exchange.
- Post-acquisition due diligence, assessment of the compliance structure and program, and advice with respect to remediation and post-acquisition integration at newly acquired global subsidiaries for various clients, including a telecommunications conglomerate and a luxury goods company.
- Advice to industrial and manufacturing companies regarding community sponsorships and social responsibility projects.
- Advice to companies on compliance aspects of various global operational joint ventures, acquisitions, and investments, including major mass media and technology conglomerates.
- Compliance program advice to major professional services firms, financial institutions and other companies in connection with investigations involving the Department of Justice, SEC, New York Attorney General’s Office, World Bank, and other regulators.
- Compliance due diligence and post-acquisition integration planning in connection with acquisitions for clients across industries, including power/automation, telecommunications, technology, agriculture, biopharmaceutical, utility, manufacturing, financial services, and other companies.
- Compliance due diligence in connection with acquisitions of assets in Latin America for telecommunications companies, financial services institutions, educational services, and other companies.
- Regularly develop and guide implementation of compliance programs and governance structures in connection with joint ventures and acquisitions.
- Assist with drafting policies and procedures and implementing third party management systems.
- Advice with respect to audit scoping.
- Assist with developing internal investigation processes and complaint procedures.
- Advice to companies on culture surveys, gift and entertainment expenses, due diligence and monitoring of third parties, training, and promoting a culture of compliance.
- summa cum laude
- Editor in Chief, Hofstra Law Review
- cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Counsel, 2018-present
- Davis Polk since 2005
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, E.D. New York
- U.S. District Court, S.D. New York