Jonathan K. Chang
Handles a broad range of U.S. and cross-border litigation, arbitration, white collar matters and internal investigations.
His litigation practice includes representing clients in U.S. securities class actions and other complex commercial disputes, and advising on cross-border M&A litigation frequently involving offshore jurisdictions.
His international arbitration practice focuses on high-stakes commercial and investment disputes in Asia and beyond. In recent years, he has advised clients in multi-billion-dollar arbitrations across a number of industries, including alternative energy, telecommunications and mining.
His white collar and internal investigations practice includes investigations concerning violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), sanctions and anti-money laundering compliance, and violations of securities laws.
Jon has won multiple awards for his pro bono work and leads Davis Polk’s pro bono program in Hong Kong.
- Representing several China-based U.S.-listed companies and their directors and officers in connection with securities class actions pending in federal and state courts in the U.S.
- Advising a China-based biotech company on a shareholder dispute filed in the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands, which was successfully struck out
- Obtaining complete dismissal of billion-dollar lawsuit filed against Morgan Stanley related to a Latin American submarine cable network
- Obtaining complete dismissal of a securities fraud lawsuit filed against Credit Suisse relating to its research analyst coverage of AOL
- Obtaining the complete dismissal of securities fraud claims filed against Proskauer Rose LLP relating to the Alan Stanford Ponzi scheme, and related litigation in the U.S. and Antigua
- Obtaining complete dismissal of a legal malpractice claim filed against Paul Hastings LLP relating to a secured loan transaction and subsequent bankruptcy of the borrower
- Representing a China-based alternative energy company in an HKIAC-administered arbitration, in a dispute arising from a failed investment in Japan, and related litigation in Hong Kong and the Cayman Islands
- Representing a European telecom in an LCIA-administered arbitration, relating to a natural disaster indemnity
- Representing a consumer retail investor in an ICC-administered arbitration, arising from a co-investor’s breach of a shareholders agreement, and related litigation in the High Court of Hong Kong
- Advising a natural resources company on an approximately US$20 billion claim against the government of a Southeast Asian country, relating to our client’s mining contracts
- Advising a financial institution in relation to claims arising from its purchase of a business in Indonesia
White Collar & Investigations
- Representing the CEO of a technology company based in China on a SEC investigation
- Conducting internal investigations for a multinational pharmaceutical company relating to FCPA-related issues
- Frequently advising U.S.-listed companies based in China in connection with FINRA matters
- Conducting internal investigations for a multinational medical device company, relating to import control and distributor-related issues
- Representing a global financial institution in connection with a criminal investigation concerning its mortgage-backed securities business
Law Society of Hong Kong – Individual Gold Award (for pro bono work), 2019, 2020 and 2022
Law Society of Hong Kong – Distinguished Pro Bono Service Award, 2018
City Bar Justice Center – Jeremy G. Epstein Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service, 2016
- magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Staff Editor, New York University Annual Survey of American Law
- Counsel, 2016-present
- Associate, 2006-2016
Qualifications and admissions
- Hong Kong
- State of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, E.D. New York
- U.S. District Court, S.D. New York
- U.S. Supreme Court