Focuses on high-value commercial disputes and regulatory investigations and enforcement. Widely recognized for his enforcement and litigation work.
James focuses on commercial dispute resolution, regulatory investigations and enforcement.
Financial institutions, accountancy firms, legal firms, private equity houses and individuals turn to James to handle a broad range of litigation including professional negligence claims, joint venture and shareholder disputes, and claims arising from offerings of public securities.
Banks, funds and listed companies also turn to him when facing investigations and disciplinary proceedings in Hong Kong and across Asia.
Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific recognizes James as a “Litigation Star” in multiple areas, and Chambers ranks him in Band 1 in China for his financial services enforcement work.
James has advised:
- Investment banks, commercial banks, funds and listed companies in responding to investigations and disciplinary proceedings brought by regulators or other government agencies in Hong Kong and across Asia
- Financial institutions on a broad range of litigation, including disputes arising from derivatives and structured products and from public and private offerings
- Accountancy firms in respect of substantial audit negligence claims and professional disciplinary hearings, both in Hong Kong and on a cross-border basis
- Private equity houses and individual directors in relation to investment disputes across Asia
- On an extensive range of complex commercial litigation before the Hong Kong Courts, including shareholder and joint venture disputes, major professional negligence claims and claims arising from listed company insolvency
Chambers Greater China Region – Financial Services: Contentious Regulatory (International Firms), China, Band 1
Chambers Global and Greater China Region – Dispute Resolution: Litigation (International Firms), China
Legal 500 Asia Pacific – Dispute Resolution: Litigation, Hong Kong
Benchmark Litigation – Commercial and Transactions, Government and Regulatory, Hong Kong, Litigation Star
Who’s Who Legal – Investigations, Thought Leader and Global Leader
Legal 500 Asia Pacific – Regulatory, Hong Kong
- with honours
- Partner, Davis Polk, 2013-present
- Partner, Clifford Chance, 2007-2013
- Clifford Chance (Hong Kong), 2002-2006
- Russell McVeagh (Auckland), 1998-2001
Qualifications and admissions
- England and Wales
- Hong Kong