Gregory S. Rowland
Provides transactional, regulatory and compliance advice to funds, investment advisers and business development companies. Advises on digital currency fund formation.
Greg provides transactional, regulatory and compliance advice to investment advisers, mutual funds, closed-end funds, business development companies, private equity funds and hedge funds. He devotes a large portion of his practice to the structuring, launch and operation of registered investment companies and hedge funds and to the sales, acquisitions and restructurings of asset management firms.
Financial institutions, technology companies and asset managers also turn to Greg for guidance in connection with transactional, regulatory and compliance issues concerning digital currency and blockchain activities, including digital currency fund formation.
In addition, Greg advises financial institutions, fund sponsors, corporations, employees’ securities companies and other entities regarding exemptions under the Investment Company Act and Investment Advisers Act.
Recent transactional representations include:
- Advised Silver Spike Capital on the launch of its BDC, Silver Spike Investment Corp.
- Counsel to J.P. Morgan in connection with the Six Circles mutual fund complex, which has over $50 billion in AUM across multiple funds
- Counsel to the independent directors of multiple fund complexes
Digital Currency Funds
- Numerous asset managers on the structuring, launch and operation of private digital currency funds
Mergers & Acquisitions Transactions
- Charles Schwab Corporation on its $1.8 billion acquisition of assets of USAA’s Investment Management Company, including brokerage and managed portfolio accounts
- Charles Schwab Corporation on its $26 billion all-stock acquisition of TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation
- Morgan Stanley on its acquisition of Eaton Vance
- Morgan Stanley on its $13 billion acquisition of E*TRADE Financial Corporation
- Morgan Stanley in the sale of its retail investment management business to Invesco
- A large asset manager on the sale of its exchange-traded funds (ETF) business
- KKR on its BDC joint venture and related transactions with FS Investments
- Lightyear Capital on its sale of RidgeWorth Investments to Virtus Investment Partners
- Citigroup in the formation of the Morgan Stanley Smith Barney joint venture
- Morgan Stanley in its investments in various hedge fund managers (including Avenue Capital Group and Lansdowne Partners)
Chambers USA and Global – Investment Funds: Registered Funds
Chambers reports that Greg is “notable for his knowledge of the crossover between registered funds, and digital currency." Clients comment that he is “extremely knowledgeable and excellent at finding solutions to complex issues.”
IFLR1000 – M&A, United States, Highly regarded
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- James Kent Scholar
- Robert Stephen Haft Moot Court Prize
- Articles Editor, Columbia Law Review
- cum laude
- Partner, 2010-present
- Associate, 2003-2010
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York