Dara L. Sheinfeld
Head of Pro Bono Litigation, leading a variety of pro bono litigation initiatives. Also helps our lawyers develop and strengthen trial and client interview skills.
As Head of Pro Bono Litigation, Dara oversees our wide variety of pro bono litigation initiatives, including family court litigation, post-conviction relief matters and federal Hague actions – with a personal focus on representing survivors of domestic violence. She helps our attorneys develop and strengthen trial and client interview skills.
Dara previously worked at Sanctuary for Families, litigating family law matters on behalf of victims of domestic violence, and managing and directing two of Sanctuary’s family law offices in Family Justice Centers in the Bronx and Manhattan. At Sanctuary, Dara supervised many attorneys in highly contested family court matters, including trials. She collaborated with various nonprofit organizations and legal services agencies, helping underserved communities.
Earlier, Dara was a litigation associate at Davis Polk. During that time, she gained significant experience litigating pro bono family court matters, and supervised associates on similar cases.
New York City Bar – Kathryn A. McDonald Award for Excellence in Service to the Family Court, 2021
Legal Aid Society – “Pro Bono Publico Award,” 2021
- cum laude
- Staff Editor, N.Y.U. Review of Law & Social Change
- Phi Beta Kappa
- magna cum laude
- Counsel, Head of Pro Bono Litigation, 2020-present
- Pro Bono Attorney, Davis Polk, 2017-2020
- Director, Family Law Project, Sanctuary for Families, 2012-2017
- Legal Brief Writing Specialist, Silver, Golub & Teitell, 2010-2012
- Associate, Davis Polk, 2002-2010
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York
- U.S. District Court, E.D. New York
- U.S. District Court, S.D. New York