Angela T. Burgess
Represents clients in some of the most high-profile and complex white collar and regulatory matters. Recognized among “Top Women in Litigation” and top FCPA lawyers.
Angela represents companies and individuals in some of the most high-profile and complex white collar and regulatory matters.
She has extensive experience in allegations of fraud, violations of anti-bribery laws, insider trading, money laundering, criminal tax fraud, antitrust violations and workplace misconduct. Boards of directors, audit committees and companies rely on Angela’s advice on high-stakes corporate governance and compliance matters, including the design of strategies, policies and procedures to mitigate risk. She is listed among Benchmark Litigation’s “Top Women in Litigation” and Global lnvestigations Review’s Top FCPA Practitioners.”
Many of Angela's most successful matters have not resulted in public charges and remain confidential.
In her pro bono work, Angela serves as counsel to the New York State Justice Task Force, whose mission is to promote fairness, effectiveness and efficiency in the state’s criminal justice system.
Anti-Corruption & FCPA
- Telia in a global settlement of FCPA investigations relating to allegations that employees paid bribes to enter the Uzbekistan market, including resolutions with DOJ, SEC, Dutch Prosecutor and Swedish authorities
- BHP Billiton in SEC and DOJ investigations into potential FCPA breaches related to terminated exploration and development efforts, as well as hospitality provided as part of its 2008 Beijing Olympics sponsorship; resulted in a DOJ declination and a settled SEC administrative order
- A global financial institution in the “princeling” investigations by U.S. and other regulators into the hiring of family members of high-ranking government officials in China and elsewhere; resulted in securing no action letters from the SEC
- Siemens in one of the largest U.S. FCPA investigations, which resulted in a landmark settlement with the SEC and DOJ, and included coordinating the company's defense of multiple and simultaneous international investigations, and leading the effort to assist the company in creating a state-of-the-art FCPA compliance program
- A global financial institution in an SEC FCPA investigation relating to sovereign wealth funds
- Smith & Nephew in connection with SEC and DOJ anti-corruption investigations into practices in the medical device industry, resulting in the first hybrid monitorship
Other Notable Government Investigations
- A major social media company in an FTC investigation into a variety of data privacy and related matters
- McGraw Hill Financial and Standard & Poor's Financial Services in landmark settlements with DOJ, the SEC and the attorneys general of 19 states and the District of Columbia concerning S&P's ratings of RMBS
- A global financial institution in cross-border tax investigations conducted by DOJ, the New York Department of Financial Services and international regulatory enforcement authorities
- A global financial institution in connection with DOJ, IRS, U.S. Senate Permanent Sub-Committee on Investigations and foreign regulators’ inquiries into the use of offshore vehicles to evade U.S. taxes
- A global financial institution in connection with inquiries by the SEC and other regulatory and enforcement authorities related to a capital overstatement
Global Investigations Review – “Top FCPA Practitioners,” 2021
Chambers USA – FCPA
Chambers Global – FCPA, USA
Benchmark Litigation – National and New York Star, "Top 250 Women in Litigation"
City & State New York – “Law Power 100,” 2022
New York Business Journal – “Women of Influence,” 2017
Global Investigations Review – “Women in Investigations,” 2015
Ethisphere – “Attorneys Who Matter,” 2014, 2017
International Law Office – Client Choice Award, White Collar Crime, New York, 2014
Who's Who Legal – Business Crime Defence (Individuals and Corporates), Thought Leader and Global Leader
- cum laude
- summa cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Partner, 2002-present
- Davis Polk since 1995
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, E.D. New York
- U.S. District Court, S.D. New York