Amelia T.R. Starr
Davis Polk’s Chief Pro Bono Counsel. Oversees our broad program of pro bono cases and initiatives, across litigation and corporate work. Former litigation partner.
Amy serves as our Chief Pro Bono Counsel, after 19 years as a litigation partner at the firm. She oversees our broad and ambitious array of pro bono cases and initiatives, and coordinates our close collaborations with numerous legal services organizations.
With our Pro Bono Committee, Amy is enhancing and expanding our pro bono program. She also works closely with individual associates and supervises pro bono litigation and corporate matters in areas including racial justice, immigration and domestic violence. She is involved in both criminal and civil appeals.
Previously, Amy handled commercial litigation, securities litigation, regulatory enforcement and insolvency matters, including trial and appellate litigation in both state and federal court. She provided diversity training to clients and was active for many years in women’s initiatives at Davis Polk. Her pro bono work included serving as chair of both the Fund for Modern Courts and Mobilization for Justice.
- Senior Production Editor, New York University Annual Survey of American Law
- excellent graduate honor
- summa cum laude
- Chief Pro Bono Counsel, 2021-present
- Senior Counsel, 2020-2021
- Partner, 2001-2020
- Davis Polk since 1994
Qualifications and admissions
- State of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, E.D. New York
- U.S. District Court, S.D. New York