Ms. Chan is a partner in Davis Polk’s Litigation Department, resident in Hong Kong. Her practice focuses on complex regulatory matters, particularly within the financial services industry. She regularly advises major financial institutions and corporates in regulatory and internal investigations, and disciplinary and enforcement proceedings. She has also advised on a broad range of litigation, including disputes arising from private and public securities offerings, derivatives, and other structured products.
Before joining Davis Polk, Ms. Chan worked at a leading international law firm in its Hong Kong and London offices, during which time she was also seconded to the Securities and Futures Commission. Ms. Chan began her career in investment banking in New York with a global investment bank.
Ms. Chan has advised:
- Bulge-bracket international investment banks on major regulatory and internal investigations across various aspects of their business, in particular IPO sponsorships, dark pool operations, stock borrowing and lending, and facilitation trading
- Major private banks and retail banks on regulatory investigations into the sale and distribution of structured products and insurance products
- Private equity funds, hedge funds, listed companies and corporate directors on regulatory and criminal investigations and proceedings, in particular relating to insider dealing, market misconduct, and disclosure of interests
Before joining Davis Polk, Ms. Chan’s experience included advising:
- On stock exchange disciplinary proceedings issued against listed companies and directors and against an international investment bank as issuer of listed warrants
- An international bank on the regulatory investigation into its clearing and settlement business
- On commercial litigation in Hong Kong courts, including mis-selling claims against banks in relation to financial products
- A sovereign wealth fund on Hong Kong regulatory issues
- Various investment banks and hedge funds on a range of regulatory issues, including annual review of sponsor business, compliance, and operations manuals
- Partner, Davis Polk since 2017
- Counsel, Davis Polk, 2013-2017
- Clifford Chance, 2006-2013
- Bear Stearns, 1999-2001