Joseph S. Payne
Mr. Payne is an associate in Davis Polk's Corporate Department, practicing in the Capital Markets Group. He represents issuers and financial institution clients on a variety of public and private capital markets transactions, including initial public offerings and other equity offerings, investment-grade and high-yield debt financings and liability management transactions. Mr. Payne has practiced in both London and New York and has experience in securities offerings in a range of industries, including biotech, consumer goods, financial services, industrials, natural resources, pharmaceuticals, technology, telecommunications and utilities. His practice also includes advising US public companies on general corporate, securities law and governance matters.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Payne served as a surface warfare officer in the United States Navy for four years. His personal decorations include the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal.
Mr. Payne’s recent experience includes advising on:
- The initial public offerings of Amerant Bank, Capitol Investment Corp. IV and Gamida Cell
- Follow-on equity offerings by First Data, IVERIC bio and Pernix Therapeutics
- High-yield notes offerings by Beazer Homes, Blackboard, Chobani, Freeport-McMoRan, Kissner Milling and StoneMor
- Investment-grade debt offerings by Bristol-Myers Squibb, Cardinal Health, Celgene, KKR, Magellan Health and PPG Industries
- Equity-linked offerings by Pernix Therapeutics, Plug Power, Silicon Laboratories and Tabula Rasa
- Liability management transactions involving Beazer Homes, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Freeport-McMoRan, Neovia Logistics, Pernix Therapeutics and Windstream
Prior to joining Davis Polk, Mr. Payne's representations included:
- The initial public offerings of Edita Foods and Sanitec-Oyj
- The inaugural high yield bond offerings of numerous European issuers, including Darty, HEMA, HP Pelzer, Interoute, the Public Power Corporation of Greece and Volvo Cars
- Investment-grade debt offerings by American Tower Corporation and Huntington Bancshares
- Davis Polk since 2016
- Shearman & Sterling, London and New York, 2013-2016