Joseph P. Hadley
As a partner in Davis Polk’s Corporate Department and chairman of the Credit Group, Mr. Hadley advises clients on a wide variety of complex corporate and structured finance matters. He has extensive experience in both the debt capital and syndicated loan markets.
In recent years, he has acted as counsel to either the borrower or lender in connection with numerous financings in the corporate bank markets, including advising with respect to new banking facilities for Facebook, IHS, AVG Technologies, Charles River Laboratories, Murphy USA, Leidos, Royalty Pharma, KLA-Tencor, Tyson Foods, Health Management Associates and others.
He has worked on leveraged acquisitions or recapitalizations involving McGraw Hill Education, Hearthside Foods, NCI Building Systems, Solenis Technologies and Hargray Communications.
His work on exchange offers and debt restructuring matters includes transactions for Oxford Coal, Verso Paper, Quicksilver Resources, Delta Airlines, TWA and National Steel.
Mr. Hadley also advises on project and corporate financings for companies engaged in mining, electricity generation, renewable energy, petrochemicals, wireless communications, pulp and paper, oil and gas upstream and downstream activities, real estate and gaming, including recent financings for First Wind, Delek, Contour Global, Monarch Natural Gas, Duke Power, Consolidated Edison, Noble, Digicel, Pattern Energy, Stockbridge and ROC Ohio.
- $6.5 billion senior unsecured revolving credit facility for Facebook, Inc.
- $5.7 billion 364-day senior unsecured bridge term loan facility and $2.5 billion senior unsecured term loan facility for Tyson Foods, Inc.’s acquisition of The Hillshire Brands Company
- $2.8 billion Term B loans refinancing for Royalty Pharma Investments under their existing $6.4 billion senior secured loan facilities
- $1.75 billion amended and restated unsecured revolving credit facility for Verisk Analytics, Inc.’s acquisition of Wood Mackenzie from Hellman & Friedman
Project Finance Representations
- $320 million term loan B credit facility and $75 million letter of credit facility for Northeast Wind Capital II, LLC, used to refinance Northeast Wind's existing corporate and project financings, including the wind energy projects operated by Northeast Wind's subsidiaries
- $300 million senior secured first-lien credit facility, $160 million incremental credit facility and $380 million offering of second-lien notes by ROC Finance LLC, a subsidiary of Rock Ohio Caesars, used to finance the development of full-scale casino projects in Cleveland and Cincinnati, Ohio
- $300 million limited recourse bridge loans and $2 billion limited recourse senior secured notes offering for Delek Drilling LP and Avner Oil Exploration LP
- $204 million notes offering and $95 million amended and restated secured bridge credit facility for Energia Eolica S.A. in connection with the development, construction and operation of two wind farms in Northern Peru
- $127 million acquisition of the 150 megawatt (MW) Amazon Wind Farm (Fowler Ridge) project in Indiana from Pattern Energy Group LP by Pattern Energy
- $7.5 billion amended and restated revolving credit facility for Duke Energy Corporation
- $857.5 million first-lien senior secured term loan facility, $50 million incremental first-lien senior secured term loan facility and $300 million second-lien senior secured term loan facility for Advantage Sales & Marketing, Inc.
- $750 million senior secured term loan credit facility for Verso Paper Holdings LLC’s acquisition of NewPage Holdings, Inc.
- $330 million term loan facility for Empresa Eléctrica Guacolda S.A., a joint venture between AES Gener S.A. and Global Infrastructure Partners
Mr. Hadley is recognized as a leading lawyer in various industry publications:
- Chambers Global – Projects: USA
- Chambers USA – Banking & Finance: Nationwide
- IFLR1000 LatAm – Energy and Infrastructure: Corporate, Energy and Infrastructure: Finance
- IFLR1000 U.S. – Banking: Bank Lending
- Partner, 1996-present
- Associate 1987-1996
- London office, 1989-1991