James M. Millerman
Mr. Millerman is counsel in Davis Polk’s Corporate Department with a primary practice focus on corporate restructurings. He has substantial experience in a broad range of in-court and out-of-court restructurings, including cross-border financial institution insolvencies and restructurings, and has represented U.K. administrators, distressed companies, agent banks, secured creditors, other financial creditors and acquirers of distressed companies.
He also advises banks, broker-dealers and other financial institutions regarding bankruptcy risks involved in derivatives and other complex financial transactions.
- Dean Foods in connection with its chapter 11 case
- Contura Energy in connection with its acquisition of assets from Mission Coal Company
- Eight major US banking organizations in their living wills submissions to the Federal Reserve Board and the FDIC
- Comcast in connection with the involuntary bankruptcy of Houston Regional Sports Network, L.P.
- The joint administrators of Lehman Brothers International (Europe) in connection with their multibillion-dollar claims against Lehman Brothers Inc. in the largest SIPA proceeding in history
- Various banks in numerous bankruptcy-remote structured finance transactions
- Citibank in its defense against multibillion-dollar fraudulent conveyance litigation in the Enron bankruptcy case*
* Selected representation before joining Davis Polk.
- Counsel, Davis Polk, 2012-present
- Associate, Davis Polk, 2009-2012
- Associate, Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, 2006-2009
- Associate, Latham & Watkins, 1999-2003
- Law Clerk, Hon. Robert D. Drain, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, S.D. New York, 2003-2006
Articles and Books
A Practitioner's Guide to Prepackaged Bankruptcy: A Primer | American Bankruptcy Institute
A Novel Approach To Vote Solicitation On Prepackaged Plans | Dow Jones Daily Bankruptcy Review