Davis Polk has one of the world’s premier trial practices, regularly achieving remarkable results that others have failed to obtain. With more than 200 litigators, including 39 partners, the firm handles trials in federal, state and non-U.S. jurisdictions for clients across a variety of industries. Our litigators are courtroom lawyers who have long track records of success and have won record-setting verdicts on both the defense and plaintiff sides.
Our firm’s long-established trial practice stands out from amongst its peers, as do our partners, who are frequently recognized for their trial skills by professional organizations, including numerous publications, and have been members of the American College of Trial Lawyers for more than 40 years - including a partner who is a former President. Our lawyers have a keen understanding of our clients’ business imperatives, recognizing that all aspects of a client’s business – including the business model, financial condition, workforce and employee concerns, regulatory issues, investor considerations, and reputation – are key in determining the most effective legal strategy.
Litigation trial teams create innovative ways to simplify complex concepts and weave them into a story a jury can understand. When preparing for trial, we take an analytical and strategic approach, focusing on all aspects of a case, including:
- Determining the appropriate tactical approach
- Considering legal arguments and potential pretrial motions
- Developing the anticipated arguments and evidence
- Preparing both offensive and defensive discovery plans
- Considering evidentiary issues, including the admissibility of documents and statements, as well as the costs, benefits and risks of bringing witnesses to testify
- Developing a reasonable schedule for the preparation of witnesses
- Coordinating efforts in the event of parallel proceedings