Boards of directors and officers of leading corporations and financial institutions regularly turn to Davis Polk for strategic advice and representation in high-profile crisis management situations, litigation, and governmental and internal investigations. Our crisis management team, which draws upon our most experienced partners from our corporate and litigation practices around the globe, takes a multidisciplinary approach to crises, enabling us to take immediate action on a number of fronts.
We have extensive experience working boards and senior management – along with financial, technical, public relations and other advisers – to steer clients through the challenges that can be posed by:
- A catastrophic event
- Accounting problems or compliance failure
- Data or security breach
- High-stakes government investigation
- Hostile takeover bids
- Shareholder activism
- Sudden illness or departure of company leadership
- Whistleblower complaints
Among other matters, we are currently representing boards, independent directors or board committees in connection with a broad array of matters involving:
- Allegations of FCPA and Bribery Act violations
- Financial, accounting and regulatory issues, stock-option grants, allegations of management misconduct and related-party dealings
- All types of disclosure matters, including the complex and often sensitive issues surrounding governance and executive compensation reporting requirements
- Evaluating and responding to shareholder demands
There are few firms that have the breadth to advise boards on both regulatory and enforcement issues, and even fewer able to do so in the face of multijurisdictional litigation.