Davis Polk brings high-level bipartisan government experience, a tradition of excellence and a deep knowledge of our clients’ businesses and industries to the unique process of congressional investigations.
Our lawyers have handled important congressional investigations both while serving in the federal government and in private practice. We have extensive experience guiding companies and individuals through the particular challenges that congressional investigations present, including a keen awareness of the impact a high-profile congressional investigation can have on civil litigation, criminal investigations and regulatory matters.
We have advised clients in a wide variety of investigations – such as those arising from White House issued reports; of directors, officers and other individuals; manipulation of benchmarks; money laundering and the financial crisis; safety practices; trading irregularities; and unfair labor practices – conducted by many congressional committees and investigative commissions, including:
- the House Financial Services Committee
- the House Natural Resources Committee
- the House Committee on Education and Labor
- the Senate Banking Committee
- the Senate Judiciary Committee
- the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations
- Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission
- Special commissions and inspectors general
- the Presidential Commission
We take an integrated approach, working closely with our client’s government and public affairs personnel when necessary to ensure a carefully coordinated and comprehensive response to high-profile congressional investigations.