Davis Polk partners Arthur Burke and Howard Shelanski will be among the speakers at the Jevons Institute 2018 Colloquium: Future Perspectives on Media Markets: Competition, pluralism and regulatory oversight. Burke will speak on “The Consolidation Role of Competition Policy, Merger Control, Public Interest Tests” roundtable. Topics discussed will include:
- Merger control and consolidation in media markets in particular in relation to newspapers and broadcasting (with references to cases in the US and Europe).
- Should we take into account wider public interests (e.g. media plurality) and how do we do that if it is mandated?
- Has the rise of online media platforms (including ones that focus on user-generated content) affected the analysis of competition or public interests?
- Mergers in old media and the online constraint
Shelanski will present on the “Economics of Competition and Welfare Analysis in Media Markets” roundtable. Topics discussed will include:
- Analyzing welfare in relation to content
- Welfare in markets where main currency is time/attention
- Role of advertising
- Content creation and free content as a “bait”
- Role of multi-homing
The program will be held on May 22, 2018, in Rome.
For more information, please visit the event website.