Professional Development Manager
Monday through Friday, 9:30 am – 5:30 pm (overtime as required)
The Professional Development Coordinator will provide support to the Restructuring group and assist with annual reviews for all corporate group practices firm-wide
Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Associate and counsel reviews
Oversees annual, interim, off-cycle, and mid-year reviews for all corporate group practices firm-wide (nearly 500 attorneys)
- Create the annual review master log identifying the attorneys included in the annual review cycle for each practice group. Work with practice group coordinators and/or PD managers to make sure everyone is included, and exceptions are noted
- Create annual review timetable and annual review outline
- Work with IT to make sure review population is correct in viDesktop.
- Oversee the “Reviewer Preferences” survey process and work with IT to set up and distribute
- Oversee anonymous “Upward Review” process for associates and counsel and work with IT to set up and distribute
- Organize and maintain firm-wide calendar of partner group meetings for the discussion of reviews
- Ensure all electronic review folders have adequate feedback and distribute the electronic review folders to the partners in a timely manner
- Troubleshoot problems and work with IT to swiftly fix issues
- Communicate with reviewers regarding intake and resolution of any issues
- Draft review messages/talking points for partner reviewers as requested
- Collect and read review summaries after the reviews are delivered
- Maintain a log of summaries and developmental priorities, and flag performance issues wherever appropriate
Interim/Rotation and Off-Cycle Reviews
- Oversee six month review process for corporate rotators and Fall lateral and direct hires
- Keep track of associates/counsel who are slotted for mid-year performance reviews or off-cycle reviews if absent during the annual cycle
- Determine which attorneys should be prompted for feedback and collect feedback
- Distribute the review folders and collect review summaries
- Reach out to secondees for their supervisor contact information
- Collect feedback from secondment contact after secondment ends
- Prepare secondment reports (mid-year and year-end)
- Assist in selection of volunteers and tracking of monthly discussion topics
- Assist with other AC projects as necessary
Support to Restructuring Practice group
- Assist with rotator and lateral integration
- Aid with partner/rotator interaction
- Help with rotator training programs and group meetings
- Organize and maintain partner group meetings for the discussion of reviews and provide additional support in connection with the review and talent management process
- Track data
- Manage counsel/associate vacation requests/calendar and assist with coverage process
- Review lawyer time entries
- Create weekly hours charts
- Assist with weekly staffing charts
- Assist with weekly internal group gatherings and office hours
- Assist with staffing junior associates when PD manager is out
- Assist with other projects for PD department as requested
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral.
- Must have expertise in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work independently and also collaboratively with other offices and staff.
- Must have excellent leadership skills and be able to inspire confidence among associates and firm leaders.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of personnel and other sensitive matters is critical.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 1 to 5 years’ experience, law firm preferred
The expected base salary for this position ranges from $65,000 - $90,000. Salary offers are based on a wide range of factors including relevant skills, training, experience, education, anticipated assignment, and, where applicable, licensure or certifications obtained. Market and organizational factors are also considered. Davis Polk offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter.Apply by email