Director, Knowledge Management
Monday through Friday, 9:30 am – 5:30 pm (overtime as required)
Davis Polk is looking for a manager for its Knowledge Management team who will report to the Director, Knowledge Management and will be at the forefront of (i) implementing projects designed to meet the knowledge management and legal technology needs of Davis Polk, (ii) developing and leveraging external vendor relationships to optimize and enhance value from third party technologies, and (iii) fostering a culture of knowledge sharing. This role will work collaboratively across departments to align the firm’s knowledge management strategy with overall business objectives. The ideal candidate brings a blend of legal and managerial skills, as well as an interest in legal technology, to help implement knowledge resources as a strategic asset.
Typical responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Firm Engagement and KM Project Solutions
- Develop a thorough understanding of the firm’s practice areas to understand workflows and pain points.
- Collaborate with practice groups to identify, prioritize, and implement applications and technology solutions to enhance legal services.
- Coordinate with practice groups and practice support attorneys to ensure relevant knowledge is captured, organized, and displayed effectively (via the firm intranet, wiki or other databases).
- Evaluate whether practice needs require the firm to “buy” or “build” knowledge solutions.
- Design and implement pilots and collaborate with the Vendor Management Office to make purchasing decisions.
- Collaborate with Business Development, HR, Recruiting and other relevant departments to align the firm’s knowledge management strategy with other key business functions.
- Coordinate training and guidance to all attorneys and staff on the use of knowledge management systems and resources, as well as available legal technologies, and promote user adoption globally.
- Implement effective methods for tracking and evaluating the use and effectiveness of knowledge management resources.
- Develop and maintain relationships with external vendors to ensure smooth knowledge flow and coordination with attorneys.
- Evaluate and assess vendor capabilities, products, and services to align with organizational knowledge needs.
- Collaborate with Vendor Management Office regarding contracts, pricing, and terms with vendors to ensure optimal value and alignment with organizational goals.
- Monitor vendor performance and escalate issues as necessary to ensure service levels and quality standards are met.
- Facilitate knowledge transfer from vendors to internal teams and stakeholders, ensuring seamless integration and understanding of new knowledge.
Knowledge Management Support
- Along with the Director, Knowledge Management, serve as a visible interface with practice groups and build working relationships with partners and associates.
- Participate in the evolution of knowledge management at Davis Polk, including the reimagining of the way that the firm stores, tracks and presents legal knowledge.
- Foster a culture of knowledge sharing and continuous learning among all firm employees.
- Stay current on the latest technologies and best practices in legal knowledge management, integrating applicable concepts as appropriate.
- Regularly communicate the value and successes of the firm’s knowledge management initiatives to stakeholders.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with interest in working with attorneys and staff across all areas of the firm.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Well-developed organizational skills and the ability to work independently, set priorities, and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong understanding of legal information and research resources and a willingness to engage with new technologies and developments in the legal knowledge management field.
- A proactive, strategic, and adaptable mindset.
- Flexibility in daily schedule for purposes of responding to attorney needs and requests and ability to work outside normal business hours as needed.
- 4+ years of experience in a large law firm.
- JD required.
- Knowledge management experience strongly preferred.
The expected base salary for this position ranges from $200,000 - $220,000. Salary offers are based on a wide range of factors including relevant skills, training, experience, education, anticipated assignment, and, where applicable, licensure or certifications obtained. Market and organizational factors are also considered. Davis Polk offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter.Apply by email