Thomas J. Reid
Mr. Reid is the Managing Partner of Davis Polk.
He became a partner in 1995. In 2000, Mr. Reid became a managing director in the Investment Banking Division of Morgan Stanley and rejoined the partnership of Davis Polk in 2003. His practice spans capital markets, mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance. In those fields, he has acted for blue chip companies and financial intermediaries to provide legal advice and judgment on some of the most significant matters in Europe, the United States and Asia.
Capital MarketsMr. Reid has represented underwriters and issuers in some of the largest and most significant IPOs and equity capital raises in Europe and elsewhere.
- The flotation of Alstom in France
- The privatization of Swisscom in Switzerland
- The IPO of ARM Holdings, a world-leading IP company
- The privatization of Neste Oy, a Finnish refining and marketing company
- The flotation of Cairn India Limited on the Bombay Stock Exchange
- Both of Morgan Stanley’s issues of common stock in 2009
He has also acted for many issuers in connection with corporate investment-grade and non-investment-grade debt issues and more complex structured products.
- Morgan Stanley on all of its aircraft acquisitions, including the purchase of AWAS from News International and TPG Groep in 2000 and the sale of AWAS to Terra Firma in 2006
- Scania AB, from 2006 to 2007, on its defense of an unsolicited offer from MAN AG
- AstraZeneca on its acquisition of MedImmune in 2007
- Emesco AB on its merger with Kinnevik AB
He has also acted as adviser on general corporate matters, including M&A, to ABN AMRO, ARM, AstraZeneca, Cairn India, InterContinental Hotels, Millicom, Morgan Stanley, Novo Nordisk and Reliance Industries.
- Acted for the Group Audit Committee of Royal Dutch Shell in connection with its investigation into the facts and circumstances of the recategorization of approximately 3.9 billion boe of proved oil and gas reserves in January 2004
- Several undisclosed internal corporate investigations, including FCPA matters
- Provides disclosure and governance advice to several large cap companies and their boards
- Also provides general governance advice to global and European trade associations and not-for-profit organizations
- Law Business Research’s Who’s Who Legal–International Who’s Who of Capital Markets Lawyers and Who’s Who Legal–International Who’s Who of Merger & Acquisition Lawyers
- Trustee, Pierpont Morgan Library
- Managing Partner, 2011-present
- Head of Corporate, 2008-2011
- Partner, Davis Polk, 1995-2000; 2003-present
- Managing Director, Investment Banking Division, Morgan Stanley, 2000-2003
- Associate, 1987-1995