Susan C. Ervin
Ms. Ervin is counsel in Davis Polk’s Financial Institutions Group, practicing in the Washington DC office. She has a unique combination of direct CFTC and SEC regulatory and private practice experience in futures, commodities and derivatives, including the new swaps regulatory requirements. Ms. Ervin advises clients concerning the full spectrum of derivatives and other alternative investment products.
Ms. Ervin spent 15 years as an attorney for the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), the last 10 of which she served in a senior capacity as Deputy Director and Chief Counsel of the CFTC’s Division of Trading and Markets. In that role, Ms. Ervin was responsible for the legal aspects of the CFTC’s regulatory programs for exchanges, clearing organizations, futures commission merchants, commodity pool operators, commodity trading advisers and other intermediaries. She left the CFTC at the end of 1997 to reenter private practice, where she also advised on derivatives matters and transactions, including the derivatives activities of investment companies. In 2009, she returned to the public sector as an Attorney Fellow/Senior Advisor at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, where she helped develop regulatory approaches to the derivatives markets.
Ms. Ervin is listed as a leading lawyer in IFLR1000.
- Co-Author of Derivatives Regulation (Wolters Kluwer, 2014), the leading futures and derivatives treatise, and of more than 20 treatise chapters and articles on derivatives topics
- Frequent speaker on futures, derivatives and alternative investments regulations
- Chair, Derivatives and Futures Law Committee, Business Law Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Executive Committee, Law and Compliance Division, Futures Industry Association
- Counsel, 2014
- Partner, Davis Polk, 2011-2014
- Attorney Fellow/Senior Advisor, Division of Investment Management, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, 2009-2011
Articles and Books
Heartburn in the Heartland: Agricultural Futures Under the Spotlight | Futures Industry Magazine
Regulation of Asset Managers by the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission | U.S. Regulation for Asset Managers Outside the United States (City and Financial Publishing) (2008)
US Regulation of Managed Futures - Commodity Trading Advisers and Commodity Pools
Law & Regulation of Investment Management (Frase ed.) | Sweet & Maxwell 2004