Richard J. Sandler
Mr. Sandler is co-head of Davis Polk’s global corporate governance group and a leader of the firm’s global capital markets practice. He has extensive experience advising on all aspects of corporate governance and serves on the New York Stock Exchange Commission on Corporate Governance.
Mr. Sandler also regularly advises on public and private securities offerings, including initial public offerings, high-yield debt securities, derivatives, venture capital and leveraged investments, spinoffs, restructurings, exchange offers and new financial products. Mr. Sandler also serves on the Legal Advisory Committee to the Committee on Capital Markets Regulation.
As well as representing other corporate and investment banking clients on domestic and international matters and transactions, he has regularly represented Aetna, Campbell Soup, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase, Morgan Stanley, PartnerRe and Verisk Analytics.
In addition to numerous other financings, Mr. Sandler represented Verisk Analytics in connection with its $2.1 billion initial public offering (the largest domestic initial public offering in 2009), and represented the banks in connection with Visa’s $19 billion initial public offering (the second-largest in U.S. history).
- Listed as a leading lawyer in several legal industry publications, including:
- Band 1, USA: Capital Markets: Debt & Equity – Chambers Global 2013
- Band 1, Nationwide: Capital Markets: Debt & Equity – Chambers USA 2012-2013
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Legal Media Group’s Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers: Best of the Best; Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Structured Finance and Securitization Lawyers; and Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Capital Markets Lawyers
- American Lawyer Media’s Corporate Counsel: Best Lawyers in Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions and Securities Law
- Practical Law Company’s Cross-border Finance: Secured Lending Handbook and Cross-border Capital Markets Handbook
- Law Business Research’s Who’s Who Legal–International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers and Who’s Who Legal–International Who’s Who of Capital Markets Lawyers
- IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
- Recognized as a “BTI Client Service All-Star” in a BTI Consulting Group survey of corporate counsel at Fortune 1000 organizations
- Partner, 1979-present
- Associate, 1972-1979
- Paris office, 1982-1985
Tough Tone at the Top of the SEC
Financial Fraud Law Report | Matthew Bender & Company, Inc.
Corporate Governance Practices for IPOs in the United States
Corporate Governance Practices for Initial Public Offerings in the United States | The Conference Board, January 2012