As co-head of Davis Polk’s global Capital Markets Group, Mr. Kaplan regularly works for issuers and underwriters in connection with capital markets and leveraged finance transactions, including initial public offerings and other equity offerings, as well as offerings of convertible and high-yield debt. He has worked on offerings involving issuers from a variety of industries ranging from technology and telecommunications to basic industry. Mr. Kaplan also regularly advises investment banking clients on securities law-related matters and corporate clients on general corporate matters, including corporate governance, SEC and Sarbanes-Oxley matters. Mr. Kaplan was named an AmLaw Dealmaker of the Year in 2012 for his work advising Delphi Automotive PLC on its IPO.
- IPOs for Hilton Hotels, Israel Chemicals Ltd., Coty Inc., Kamada Ltd., Taminco Corporation, U.S. Silica Corporation, Delphi Automotive PLC, Molycorp Minerals Inc., Mediamind Inc., and Wesco Aircraft Corporation
- High-yield debt offerings for GameStop, JCPenney, Hilton Hotels, Warner Chilcott, LyondellBasell, Spectrum Brands, Harbinger Capital, Momentive Specialty Chemicals, McGraw Hill Education, Seagate, Hovnanian, Western Refining, Digicel Group and NXP B.V.
- Primary partner for ExxonMobil, Ford, PPL Corporation, Syngenta AG, Delphi Automotive, Digicel Limited and Cellcom Israel Limited, among others
Mr. Kaplan has represented major investment banks, including Banc of America, Credit Suisse, Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan and Morgan Stanley, as underwriter’s counsel.
- Listed as a leading capital markets lawyer in several legal industry publications, including:
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Legalease’s The Legal 500 (United States)
- Law Business Research’s Who’s Who Legal–International Who’s Who of Capital Markets Lawyers and Who’s Who Legal–International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers
- Named “2012 Dealmaker of the Year” – The American Lawyer
- Frequent speaker on securities law-related and general corporate matters, including corporate governance, SEC and Sarbanes-Oxley matters
- Presented at the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association, the LSTA, the City Bar Association and Corporatecounsel.net
- Member, Working Group on Legal Opinions, American Bar Association
- Partner, 2003-present
- Associate, 1996-2003
- Law Clerk, Hon. Marie L. Garibaldi, Supreme Court of New Jersey, 1995-1996