Joseph A. Hall
Mr. Hall is a member of Davis Polk’s Corporate Department. His practice includes advising issuers and underwriters on capital markets transactions; advising SEC-regulated entities on regulatory matters; and advising on securities, corporate and governance matters, generally.
He returned to the firm in 2005 following completion of his service at the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission as Managing Executive for Policy under Chairman William H. Donaldson. As a member of Chairman Donaldson’s senior management team, Mr. Hall assisted in directing the Commission’s policy-making and enforcement activities.
- IPOs for ING U.S., EPAM Systems, Air Lease Corp., GAIN Capital Holdings, Tower International, Visa Inc.
- Follow-on offerings for IHS Inc., Continental Resources, International Coal Group, KKR Financial Holdings, Synovus Financial, Meritor, General Electric
- High-grade debt offerings for NYSE Euronext, ING U.S., PepsiCo, KKR Financial Holdings, Rockwell Collins, Campbell Soup, GECC
- High-yield debt offerings for Synovus Financial, International Coal Group, Tower International, Continental Resources, Meritor
- Convertible debt offerings for Meritor, Air Lease Corp., Nuance Communications, Hawaiian Holdings, International Coal Group
- Closed-end fund IPOs for ING Emerging Markets High Dividend Equity Fund, Blackstone/GSO Long-Short Credit Income Fund, Eaton Vance Tax-Advantaged Bond and Option Strategies Fund, Blackstone/GSO Senior Floating Rate Term Fund
Mr. Hall is ranked as a leading capital markets lawyer in several legal industry publications, including:
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- The Legal 500 United States
- New York Super Lawyers
- Partner, Davis Polk, 1999-2003; 2005-present
- Managing Executive for Policy and Market Regulation Counsel for Chairman William H. Donaldson, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, 2003-2005 Corporate Counsel, Reuters America Inc., 1994-1996
- Associate, Davis Polk, 1989-1994; 1996-1999
- Law Clerk, Hon. Phyllis A. Kravitch, U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1988-1989
Articles and Books
Corporate Governance Practices in IPOs | Corporate Governance Advisor, July/August 2014
Corporate Governance Practices in US Initial Public Offerings | Director Notes, April 2014, The Conference Board