As a partner in Davis Polk’s Tax Department, Mr. Ballan has had extensive experience in tax litigation, in particular in resolving controversies for multinational firms in technology, pharmaceutical, health care and other industries. He has also advised on REITS and real estate transactions for such clients as Ranieri Partners; on private equity and hedge funds for such clients as Metalmark, Credit Suisse, J.P. Morgan and Citigroup; and on domestic and cross-border mergers, acquisitions, spinoffs and securities offerings, as well as cross-border tax planning for such clients as Aetna, Artio, Bertelsmann, Campbell Soup and Julius Baer.
- Listed as a leading tax lawyer in Chambers USA, Legalease’s Tax Directors Handbook and The Legal 500.
State of New York
B.A., Yale College, 1981
Ph.D., Yale Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, 1986
J.D., Columbia Law School, 1992
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Editor, Law Review
- Adjunct Professor of Law, New York University School of Law, where he teaches “Taxation of Private Equity” and “Advanced Corporate Tax Problems”
- Guest lecturer on hedge fund taxation, Columbia and Yale Universities
- Assistant Professor, Brandeis University, 1986-1989
- Partner, 1999-present
- Associate, 1993-1999
- Law Clerk, Hon. Wilfred Feinberg, U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 1992-1993