Christopher B. Hockett
Mr. Hockett is a member of Davis Polk’s Litigation Department, practicing in the Menlo Park office. He represents clients in a broad range of complex commercial litigation matters, including antitrust and unfair competition disputes, IP litigation, securities litigation, professional malpractice matters, contract cases and consumer class actions. He has also counseled and represented clients in connection with government investigations and the antitrust aspects of mergers and acquisitions. His clients have included many well-known technology and telecommunications companies, as well as a variety of leading firms in other industries, including financial and legal services, sports, e-commerce, media, manufacturing and health care.
Mr. Hockett is the global head of Davis Polk’s antitrust practice. He was Chair of the 8,500-member ABA Section of Antitrust Law from 2013 to 2014.
- Lead counsel in over 100 antitrust class actions in industries such as microprocessors, telecommunications, optical disk drives, memory cards, LCD-TFT displays, medical equipment and chemical manufacturing
- Lead counsel for wireless communications company in dozens of consumer class actions in more than 20 states challenging the legality of early termination fees, late fees, handset locking practices, arbitration agreements and text message pricing
- Lead counsel in more than a dozen patent lawsuits involving a variety of technologies, including computers, software, e-commerce, medical devices, optical networking and telecommunications
- Lead counsel for large software company in high profile trade secrets, copyright, interference with economic advantage and business theft case against largest competitor
- Lead antitrust counsel for several multibillion-dollar mergers
- Tried and won defense judgment in antitrust action filed to stop newspaper merger and related divestiture
- Lead counsel in a variety of securities class action and derivative claims in industries such as accounting, finance and telecommunications
- Lead counsel in defending large law firms against professional malpractice claims
- Mr. Hockett is recognized for his work in several legal industry publications, including:
- Chambers USA
- Benchmark Litigation
- Best Lawyers in America
- Legal 500 U.S.
- Daily Journal’s Top 100 Lawyers in California 2010
- Mr. Hockett is a member of Davis Polk’s Antitrust Group, which was named .“Law Firm of the Year” in Antitrust Law by U.S. News - Best Lawyers Best Law Firms 2013 and a “Competition Group of the Year” by Law360 2012 and 2014.
- Frequent speaker on trial advocacy, competition and intellectual property issues
- Chair, Section of Antitrust Law, American Bar Association, 2013-2014
- Chair-Elect, Section of Antitrust Law, American Bar Association, 2012-2013
- Member, House of Delegates, American Bar Association, 2009-2011
- Liaison, ABA Task Force on Financial Markets Regulatory Reform, 2009-2011
- Member, University of Virginia Law School Alumni Council, 2007-2010
- Member, Board of Directors, Bay Areal Legal Aid, 1999-present