Charles S. Duggan
Mr. Duggan is a partner in Davis Polk’s Litigation Department. He concentrates in complex civil litigation in a variety of areas, with particular focus on securities cases, shareholder derivative suits, antitrust, and mergers and acquisition-related litigation. He also advises directors, audit committees and special board committees regarding shareholder demands and internal investigations. His practice includes representing clients in commercial disputes, tax controversies and investigations by regulatory agencies. Mr. Duggan also serves as general counsel to the firm.
From April 2004 to May 2005, Mr. Duggan served as Associate Counsel to the President of the United States. Before joining Davis Polk, Mr. Duggan served as a law clerk to Associate Justice Antonin Scalia of the U.S. Supreme Court and Judge Laurence H. Silberman of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.
- Financial institutions and boards of directors in consolidated securities class actions, shareholder derivative suits and ERISA cases arising from the financial and subprime crisis
- Shareholder demands and derivative suits regarding accounting restatements, related-party transactions, board oversight and executive compensation matters
- Successfully represented F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd in briefing in the U.S. Supreme Court defeating civil antitrust claims by foreign entities in foreign markets. F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd. v. Empagran, S.A., 542 U.S. 155 (2004)
- In recent years, Mr. Duggan has represented Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, AstraZeneca, Roche, Altria, Comcast, Delta, Limited Brands and Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold, Inc.
Member of Davis Polk’s Securities Litigation Group, which was named:
- “Securities Litigation Department of the Year” finalist by The American Lawyer in 2014
- “Securities Group of the Year” by Law360 in 2013
- Chambers USA Band 1 for Securities Litigation
- Named an “MVP of the Year” for Securities Litigation by Law360 in 2013
- Listed as a New York “Future Star” – Legal Media Group’s Benchmark Litigation
- Recognized for subprime-related litigation – Legal 500 U.S.
- Member, American Law Institute
- Earlier in his career, Mr. Duggan represented firm clients in the negotiation and implementation of the $206 billion nationwide settlement of state government tobacco litigation.
- Partner, Davis Polk, 2002-present
- Associate Counsel to the U.S. President; April 2004 - May 2005
- Associate, Davis Polk, 1996-2002
- Law Clerk, Hon. Antonin Scalia, U.S. Supreme Court, 1995-1996
- Law Clerk, Hon. Laurence H. Silberman, U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit, 1994-1995